My Seven Essential Oils for a Healthy Scalp and Hair

Hey scholars! Since I went back to my natural hair, I have been very dependent on natural oils to keep my scalp and hair healthy. Although I am a product junkie (and proud of it!), I do enjoy making my own products or mixing up a combination of oils. Here are my seven essential oils for my natural hair journey.

Argan Oil:

This oil is great for elasticity and natural shine. It enhances your hair's elasticity which prevents breakage. It is also great for promoting natural shine without using silicone, petroleum, or mineral oil.





Avocado Oil: 

This is a humectant for moisture as well as natural shine. It helps to restore the hair. It is also great for locking in moisture without weighing your hair down.


Castor Oil: 

Want healthy hair growth? This is the oil for you. It is great for promoting growth by preventing breakage and damage. It is also great for deep conditioning. Other great results include fuller and shinier hair. I especially enjoy using the Jamaican Black Castor Oil (JBCO).


Coconut Oil: 

This oil has multiple purposes which include Pre-Pooing, Detangling and Preventing Split Ends. When pre-pooing, a lot of naturals like to moisturize with coconut oil first because it adds moisture to the hair. Also, coconut oil is used to help detangle because it adds slip to ease finger detangling which reduces breakage and split ends.

Jojoba Oil:

This oil is the closest to your own skin's natural oil which helps to prevent build up on the scalp and hair; therefore it removes dirt and oil from the scalp that leads to build up.


Olive Oil 

This oil is a humectant for dryness and breakage. It is great for attracting moisture to the hair while working against breakage and split ends helping to promote length retention.


Sweet Almond Oil: 

This oil is great for two reasons- detangling and anti-breakage. It helps to keep the scalp and hair from being dry; dryness hinders growth. It also provides great lubrication/ slip for detangling which also keeps the hair from breaking and retaining length.


Here is my mixture of a combination of most of (if not all; I made it a while ago, so I cannot remember if I used all seven or not) these oils:


I used this applicator bottle because it helps to apply to my scalp or pour into my hand without making a mess. I also use it on my skin after showering; the tip makes it easy to pour directly onto my skin.

Enjoy!


Popular Posts