My Favorite Products: Shampoos and Co-Washes

     Hey Scholars! YouTube has helped me on my journey to natural hair and is still a great source of inspiration for taking care of my hair. Years ago as an undergraduate student I wanted to return to my natural state but I did not have the knowledge and tools to do so correctly. The journey went terribly wrong and ended as quickly as it started. As a graduate student, I again decided that I want to wear my hair naturally. I was determined to be successful this time. On YouTube, I came across someone who quickly became one of my favorite bloggers/vloggers.

     Thanks to Whitney also known as Naptural85, I was able to successfully transition into my natural hair. Her videos are amazing and her tips are priceless. I learned so much from her. I watched her videos about a million times in order to prepare myself for what was ahead. I transitioned for seven months before deciding to do the big chop. I thought that I would be afraid to cut my hair. It turns out that once I started cutting my hair I could not stop. It was an amazing feeling. I also learned that other people were attached to my hair a lot more than I was. I was completely okay with cutting my hair, it was other people who could not let it go. I have been natural since February 2012.

    Since then, it has been fun learning my hair-what it likes, what it does not, and how it responds to styles and products. The last time I was natural was when I was twelve. Back then, my mother was doing my hair, so I had no idea what my hair was like. I could not remember the texture of it or its curl pattern. This journey has been a learning process in so many ways and I have been enjoying every step of the way.

   Since deciding to wear my hair in its natural state, I have amassed quite a bit of products, which makes me a product hoarder. I have come to terms with and am comfortable with this addiction. So, I have decided to discuss my favorites by breaking them up into groups such as shampoos, conditioners, stylers, and oils (this blog is already up, click here).

     I do not shampoo my hair often. I usually shampoo about once a month and co-wash about once a week. So let's get into my favorite shampoos/co-washes.

1. Terressentials Organic Pure Earth Hair Wash in Lavender Garden: I love how my scalp feels after using this. A little bit goes a long way. I will sometimes use an ACV rinse before using this and the results are amazing! The ACV rinse clarifies the hair and scalp, this mud wash cleanses the hair and scalp and together they leave my head feeling so fresh and so clean.

 
2. As I Am Coconut Co-Wash: I absolutely love this co-wash. It works wonders on my curls. It cleanses, conditions, and detangles my curls.


3. and 4. Shea Moisture's Organic Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention and Organic Coconut and Hibiscus Curl and Shine Shampoo: After using these shampoos my hair has not been the same. My hair is tangle free, my scalp feels great, and my curls are full of bounce. I love these shampoos. My hair usually gets tired of products after a while but after using these for over a year, my curls still crave them. I make sure that I have plenty in stock.


5. Pantene Truly Natural Hair Clarifying Shampoo: I use this when I noticed my scalp is drier than usual, especially after taking down my twists. It works really well which is great because I am not always in a place where I can whip up an ACV rinse mix, so this is the next best thing for me.


6. Pantene Truly Natural Hair Co-Wash: I love this co-wash. I keep it in my shower caddy. What I like about this product is that it is really light on my hair and cleanses my scalp really well.

   
 

Popular Posts