Black Names Matter

Hey scholars!

Some time ago, I visited a coffee shop on campus for a green latte to help me get my day started. I ordered my drink. After checking all the necessary boxes and writing the correct abbreviations for what I wanted, the barista asked me my name. “Rebekkah,” I tell him and proceeded to spell it for him. Sometimes I forgo doing so, just to see what the barista comes up with and they come up with some interesting spellings. Anyway, I spelled it out for him a couple of times, I understand that the spelling is not as common. As he is writing my name down, he mumbles, “Ghetto.” In a level that he can hear and put his ass on notice that I heard him, I said, “It’s biblical.” He looked up at me in shock. Yeah, I heard you punk. If you knew what you thought you did, you would not have responded the way you did. If you had any sense, you would have known that it is from the bible. I almost did not pay for my drink.


If I was a different type of person, I would have caused a damn scene. I wanted to, but why give him that power?? I did not want to black out and go in, then I would have been the one in the wrong. Angry black woman on deck. Forget that this is a black on black crime. Who cares that I am pursuing a PhD? Who cares that I teach courses? All of that would have either a). been ignored and all the attention going to my anger or b). been used to keep me silent in the future, my head down, eyes forward, know my place. It really pissed me off.



Still does to be honest.




Popular posts from this blog

Black Berries Hanging from Trees: Accounts of Black Women Lynched in America

Interracial Relationships, Symbols of Hate, and Supreme Court Rulings

Stereotypes and Images of Black Women in the Media