My Vegan Kitchen Essentials

Hey scholars!

On Friday morning, 17 March 2017, I was interviewed by a student researching black vegans in Memphis. In speaking with her, I discussed my journey and how I negotiate being in a barbeque city. In thinking and speaking about my journey and lifestyle as a vegan, I cited not only restaurants and stores I visit, but my personal kitchen. Since becoming vegan, I needed to make some purchases investments to make this journey as successful as possible. This is not to say that if you are interested in or already on this journey that you must have these things, NOT AT ALL. This is strictly what I feel that I need to make best of my journey. Since becoming a vegan in 2015, I have slowly added tools to my kitchen that help me to create the recipes I share on Facebook and Instagram. Again, you do not have to purchase these things, your journey is as unique as you and your kitchen, lifestyle, and decisions should reflect that. Here are my essential kitchen tools:

Vitamix 200 series

I use this blender pretty much every day. My smoothie game is on point! This blender is on the pricier side, so invest in one you are comfortable buying. Many people say investing in your health is priceless and I agree, but these companies have clearly put a price on appliances. Don’t bust your budget or break the bank. Many blenders are amazing and will get the job done regardless of the price tag.



Breville Juice Fountain Plus

This blender has been a fixture in my kitchen since the beginning of my journey back in the fall of 2015. It was not as costly as other juicers, but I am satisfied with it. Sometimes I use it every day and it has performed well each time. The recipes we have created together….



Strainer

Speaking of juicing, to make sure that my juices are smooth, I strainer them before pouring them in glass jars.




Mason jars/ glass bottles

I love drinking out of glass jars and bottles that vary in size, shape, and color…



Citrus Juicer

I love the taste of fresh squeezed orange juice and grapefruit juice. Due to many years in school= typing many papers as well as years of boxing, I have carpal tunnel in both wrists and it makes the process of manually making orange and grapefruit juices a bit uncomfortable, but I enjoy the process because it is calming and the results are always delicious!

Knives

Regardless of your lifestyle and dietary needs, every kitchen needs good knives. I spend a lot of time cutting fruits and vegetables for my juices and food recipes. It is an absolute must that I have knives that make the process easier.



Cutting board

Also, cutting boards are crucial. I’m looking to get some bamboo boards soon.



Food processor

My food prep includes a food processor. I used this for so many recipes. While a blender is used to make frozen treats, a food processor can be used as well.



Spiralizer

I love pasta. I have recently began using zucchini to make noodles or zoodles rather than wheat based pastas. This alternative is not only healthy, but fun to make. Also, I don’t get that heavy, full feeling that I get with wheat based pasta noodles.



Shelves

Several months ago I bought a three tier wire rack to hold some of my kitchen tools, but mostly, the shelves hold produce that I do not refrigerate. These are important for storage needs. While my kitchen is a nice size, I do not have a lot of counter space, especially with the blender, food processor, microwave, juicer, and coffee pot taking up the limited space I have. I love the shelves, they give me needed space, but also add an interesting dimension to my kitchen.



Again, you don't have to buy these things and can make do with what you have and are comfortable buying. 

Popular Posts