90s Nostalgia: Books from Childhood

Hey scholars!

I am packing my house to move in a couple of weeks. My books are taking the longest to pack. I have books from childhood in this house. This got me to thinking about the books that were crucial to my childhood.

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry- Mildred D. Taylor- Although published in 1976, this book and the others in the series, were a big part of my childhood as I came to learn about the Black Freedom Struggle.


Goosebumps- R.L Stine; I had so many of these books growing up. Real talk, I still have several in my book collection. Some of my favorites include, Night of the Living Dummy, Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes, Say Cheese and Die, and Be Careful What You Wish For.


Addy Walker books from the American Girl Series- She is the first black American Girl Doll and was the only black American Girl Doll there was when I was growing up. Interesting enough, Addy Walker was born a slave, escaping the institution with her mother at the age of 9. While my white peers had a plethora of dolls to choose from, with different backgrounds, the only one who looked like me, the only one I wanted, was born a slave.


While in elementary school, I remember sitting with my mom and picking books from the Scholastic book catalog. The scholastic book fairs at school.


Best. Days. Ever.

Popular Posts